March is National Nutrition Month! We’re celebrating this year’s theme – go further with food – over the next several days with helpful pointers and videos from the talented team of Parkview dietitians.
Today, Adrianne Kartholl, RDN, CD, clinical nutrition supervisor, Parkview Health, dishes on the secrets to building a better salad. “They’re a great, versatile option because you can customize them however you want,” she said. “But you have to watch your toppings and embellishments. That’s where the calories can really come into play.”
Adrianne’s tips for building the perfect salad:
- Start with a foundation of dark leafy greens.
- Choose a lean protein, such as grilled chicken or hard-boiled egg.
- Add an array of vegetables. Think of incorporating all the colors of the rainbow for the most antioxidants and nutrients.
- Chickpeas are a great way to add a little extra protein.
- If you plan to add cheese, opt for feta, which has less fat.
- Sprinkle on a mix of nuts and seeds for some healthy fat. Just remember to add in moderation.
- Avocado is a smart addition, with 20 essential nutrients and vitamins and minerals.
- When choosing a dressing, be mindful of both the type and the amount. Ask for it on the side to save calories.
- You can always ask for or prepare a salad in a half portion and enjoy with a side of fruit.
Want more? Check out our guide to a smarter smoothie!