Send 2016 out with good company, good intentions and good drinks, no alcohol necessary.
Blackberry Lemon Mocktail
1/2 cup fresh blackberries
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup water
1/2 cup premade lemonade
Juice of 1 lemon
1. Add the blackberries to a small sauce pan and mash them with a fork or potato masher until broken down into small bits.
2. Add the sugar, water and lemonade and bring to a simmer.
3. Simmer over low-medium heat for about 10 minutes.
4. Strain the mixture to remove the bits of blackberry, add the juice from the lemon and refrigerate the liquid until cooled.
5. Once cooled, pour the liquid evenly among 4 glasses filled with ice cubes.
6. Add seltzer until glass is full.
7. Garnish with lemon slices, mint and extra blackberries.
Adapted from a recipe featured on Running to the Kitchen
Fresh Ginger-Lime Tonic
2 ounces fresh ginger, peeled and frozen
1/2 cup filtered water
1/4 cup lime juice (from 2-3 limes)
2 8-ounce cans club soda
1 ounce tonic syrup*
1. Combine frozen ginger and water in a blender. Turn on and gradually increase speed to high; blend for 30 to 60 seconds or until no large chunks remain.
2. Pour mixture through a fine mesh sieve over a bowl, pressing out liquid with a spoon or spatula. Rinse out the blender with another few tablespoons of water and pour through sieve. Discard solids. You should have just over 1/2 cup of juice.
3. Fill 4 12-ounce glasses with ice. To each glass, add 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) ginger juice, 1/2 ounce (1 tablespoon) lime juice, and 1/4 ounce (1/2 tablespoon) tonic syrup. Stir to combine. Top with 3-4 ounces of club soda.
If you find this too spicy, add a splash of simple syrup to sweeten the drink.
*Tonic water can also be used in place of the tonic syrup and club soda.
Adapted from a recipe featured on love & olive oil
Strawberry Lime Coconut Water Slushie
2 cups coconut water, frozen into cubes
¼ cup coconut water, not frozen
5 large strawberries, hulled (frozen or fresh)
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1. Combine everything in your blender and blend until smooth.
Adapted from a recipe featured on The Kitchen Paper
Rosemary Blueberry Smash
1 rosemary sprig, stripped
1 ounce honey syrup
1 ounce fresh lemon juice, strained
4 ounces sparkling mineral water
1. Muddle the blueberries with rosemary and honey syrup in the bottom of a shaker.
2. Add lemon juice and ice. Cover and then shake for 10 seconds or so, until the ice has broken into small pieces.
3. Strain and drain into a glass with fresh ice. Garnish with blueberries and rosemary.
Adapted from a recipe featured on Wit & Delight
Sparkling Cranberry Kombucha Mocktail
1-inch slice of fresh ginger, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
1 large sprig fresh rosemary, plus more for garnish
½ cup 100% cranberry juice
2 12-ounce bottles kombucha (plain or ginger)
Fresh cranberries, to garnish
1. Fill 4 double old-fashioned glasses with ice and set aside.
2. In a pitcher or quart-sized mason jar, muddle sliced ginger and rosemary together using the end of a wooden spoon or a muddler if you have one.
3. Add cranberry juice and kombucha, stir gently to combine.
4. Pour into ice-filled glasses (using a strainer, if necessary) and garnish with sprigs of rosemary, a slice of fresh ginger and a few cranberries before serving.
Adapted from a recipe featured on the Real Food Dietians
Grapefruit Ginger Lemonade Mocktail
1 tablespoon lemonade mix
2 dashes grapefruit bitters
2 ounces red grapefruit juice
Ice2 ounces ginger beer
2 ounces san Pellegrino limonata
Lemon slices, ginger, and whole cranberry, to garnish
1. To a cocktail shaker, add lemonade mix, grapefruit bitters, red grapefruit juice, and ice.
2. Make sure the cocktail shaker lid is tight and shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
3. Strain into an iced filled rocks glass and top off with ginger beer and Pellegrino.
4. Garnish with lemon slices and a sprig of mint.
5. Serve and enjoy!
Adapted from a recipe featured on Slap Dash Mom