Entertaining? Work carry-in? These three recipes promise to please a crowd without shattering their calorie count.
Zesty White Bean Dip
1 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed and drained
Juice of ½ lemon
2 teaspoons fresh rosemary leaves
1-2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ teaspoon salt
1. Combine the ingredients in a small food processor and puree until smooth, adding extra olive oil as needed to achieve the desired consistency.
2. Serve with carrots, red and green peppers, and pita bread/chips.
Oatmeal Cookie Fruit Pizza
1½ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup white whole-wheat flour
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 large egg
⅔ cup packed light brown sugar
⅓ cup canola oil
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
½ cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
3 tablespoons sifted confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ cup sliced strawberries
1 kiwi, peeled, halved and sliced
¼ cup blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. To prepare Crust, combine oats, flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Combine egg, brown sugar, oil and ½ teaspoon vanilla in another medium bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to combine. (The mixture will be dry.)
3. Turn the dough out onto the prepared baking sheet and press into a 10-inch circle. Bake the crust until golden around the edges, about 20 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet to room temperature.
4. To prepare Topping, beat cream cheese, yogurt, confectioners' sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Spread the mixture evenly over the cooled crust. Decoratively top with strawberries, kiwi and blueberries.
To make ahead: Prepare cookie crust (Steps 1-3) and store airtight for up to 2 days.
Adapted from a recipe featured on eatingwell.com
Grapefruit Ginger Spritzer
1 part grapefruit juice
2 parts ginger ale/beer
Cranberries and mint leaves, for garnish (optional)
1. Fill a tall glass with ice cubes and fill 1/3 full with grapefruit juice.
2. Top the remaining 2/3 with ginger ale.
3. Add some cranberries and mint leaves for garnish.
Adapted from a recipe featured on Lauren Caris Cooks