We’ve officially entered the Spring Break season! It’s time to pack up the family, the car and the cooler and head for a little post-winter adventure (and maybe a healthy dose of sunshine). Avoid one of the common pitfalls of family road trips by skipping the convenience store splurges and packing some delicious options, instead.
Snacking Tips for the Road
- Pick up a few bento boxes – there are plenty of great options online – and fill each compartment with a different colorful, healthy treat, like fruits, nuts, seeds, veggies and cheese cubes.
- Prepare individual containers with playful dippers. Put some hummus in the bottom of a jar and pile whole wheat crackers on top, or a portion of nut butter with celery sticks on top.
- Make a giant batch of lightly salted popcorn for the car to share.
- Bring an assortment of nuts, seeds and dried fruits with cups and let everyone create their own custom trail mix.
- Use a container with compartments to create a healthier version of that lunch room staple. Include whole wheat crackers, low fat cheese slices and a lean protein for stacking.
- Slice up fruit for snacking or to add to water bottles for extra flavor.
More inspiration …
Turmeric Roasted Chickpeas
Featured on the blog Spoon University
No-Bake Energy Bites
Featured on the blog Gimme Some Oven
Turkey, Avocado and Hummus Roll Ups
Featured on the blog Organize Yourself Skinny
Apple Sandwiches with Honeyed Peanut Butter, Oats and Raisins
Featured on kitchn.com